Company: British Council Nigeria
State: Lagos Jobs
Job type: Full-Time
Job category: IT/Telecom Jobs in Nigeria
The British Council is the UK’s international organisation for cultural relations and educational opportunities. We create friendly knowledge and understanding between the people of the UK and other countries. We do this by making a positive contribution to the UK and the countries we work with – changing lives by creating opportunities, building connections and engendering trust.
We work with over 100 countries across the world in the fields of arts and culture, English language, education and civil society. Each year we reach over 20 million people face-to-face and more than 500 million people online, via broadcasts and publications. Founded in 1934, we are a UK charity governed by Royal Charter and a UK public body.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: ICT Officer
Pay Band: 4
Department: Business Support Services
Job Category: IT
Role Type: Advisory, policy and expertise
Duration: 6 months fixed term contract
Reports to: Country ICT Manager
- To implement, maintain and monitor the Information and Communication Technology (ICT) infrastructure in Nigeria Main Offices, supporting ICT Manager and Country ICT Manager and providing a range of appropriate, efficient IT services.
- Overall this will ensure the wider staff body have seamless access and services to meet their own objectives, business needs, strategy, and the aspirations of the Country Plan.
Provide technical support to British Council main office staff on standard software and hardware, including telephones, mobile technology, printers/copiers/scanners, including support with events including webstreaming.
This includes communicating on timelines and expected resolution, the management of task logging, provision of technical resolution within the agreed period and follow-ups that may be required:
- Ensuring timely first- and second-level support to ensure seamless operations
- Escalating any problems/issues to relevant teams as required and following up to facilitate effective communications to end-users
Supporting the implementation of local projects in conjunction with GIS / the Nigeria ICT team Support administration, implementation and upgrades of the overall ICT environment (hardware, software and infrastructure) according to business and technical needs, in accordance with the Nigeria / corporate ICT strategy, industry best practice, and necessary change and configuration management:
- Ensuring 24/7 availability of Local Area Network (LAN) and Internet connectivity
- Monitoring of all server (MS 2008) logs, services, performance, disk space, and the taking of corrective action
- Ensuring daily backups of all servers are taken, including conducting test restores
- Ensuring systems are secured from external threats like hacking/virus attacks, including regular checks on software compliance
- Ensuring restricted access to server rooms and the physical security of IT equipment
- Organising routinised weekly/monthly/quarterly IT checklist exercises are implemented
- Performing regular backup tasks as per the established backup policy
- Implementing approved updates/upgrades on receipt of guidelines and Technical Design, within agreed timeframes, ensuring service disruptions and appropriate communications to staff
- Ensuring ‘correct first time’ installation of standard and approved software
- Enhancing business processes of the organisation via suggestions for improvements and new functionality
- Managing the IT inventory (software and hardware)
- Managing the wifi access network
- Monitoring IP telephony, videoconferencing and mobile applications services
- Providing insights and input to the Business Continuity Planning process from the operational perspective
- Ensuring that (a) the SBU and BSS teams are aware of information security policies and (b) comply with them, working in close conjunction with Information and Records Manager
- Ensuring account opening requests are actioned effectively and that new accounts are ready ahead of time
- Disabling accounts same day on request from HR / line managers, for leavers or other staff as needed
- Providing security awareness briefings to the teams on a regular basis, at least annually
- Country Management Team (CMT) Nigeria
- Senior Leadership Team (SLT) Nigeria
- Director and Deputy Director Operations, Nigeria
- IT team incumbents
- Head of Facilities Operations, Nigeria
- Facilities Team, Nigeria
- HR Team, Nigeria
- Information and Records Manager, Nigeria
- Regional Engagement Manager for Sub-Saharan Africa, Global Information Services (GIS)
- Regional Delivery Manager for Sub-Saharan Africa, (GIS)
- Key vendors and suppliers of ICT-related services and products.
- Passport requirements/ Right to work in country – Existing right to live and work in Nigeria.
- Assessment stage: Shortlisting
- Direct contact or managing staff working with children? – No
Minimum / essential:
- Fluent level of spoken and written English – level B2
- Assessment Stage: Shortlisting, IELTS Assessment (Academic Module)
Qualifications Minimum / essential Desirable Assessment Stage
- Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) on Win 7 and Server 2008 platform
- University degree or equivalent
- 3 years of IT experience on desktop support and server administration, networking and providing technical and business application support
- Microsoft Certified Professional on (Window10 + Server 2016).
- ITIL Foundation certificate or corresponding level of knowledge.
- Basic Project Management skills.
Role Specific Knowledge & Experience Minimum / essential Desirable
- Office 2016 support and Knowledge of Office 365 functionality, including Skype for Business, Teams, OneNote, One Drive, Planner, Sway; and practical ability in deployment, and supporting user requests
- User Support Skills: Ensures all IT issues are resolved or channelled to appropriate support function in GIS with in agreed service levels
Role Specific Skills (if any)
- Practical knowledge of computer networks (client-server and work group networks)
- Practical knowledge of working with Microsoft Windows Server products in the Active Directory environment.
Assessment Stage: Shortlisting and Interview:
British Council Core Skills
Managing Projects level 2:
- Analyses project data Examines project data and performance, reporting on progress and recommending corrective action as needed
Planning and Organising level 2:
- Plans ahead Organises own work over weeks and months, or plans ahead for others, taking account of priorities and the impact on other people
Communicating and Influencing level 1:
- Communicates clearly and effectively Listens to others and expresses self clearly, with grammatical accuracy and awareness of a diverse audience in speaking and writing
Using Technology level 2:
- Operates as an advanced user Works as an advanced practitioner in the use of office software and/or British Council standard and social media platforms and trains or coaches others in their use
Assessment Stage: Shortlisting
British Council Behaviours
Making it Happen (Essential):
- Delivering clear results for the British Council
Being Accountable (Essential):
- Delivering my best work in order to meet my commitments
Creating Shared Purpose (Essential):
- Communicating an engaging picture of how we can work together
Connecting with Others (Essential):
- Making regular opportunities to understand others better
Shaping the Future (Essential):
- Looking for ways in which we can do things better
Working Together (Essential):
- Establishing a genuinely common goal with others
Assessment Stage: Interview Required for the role but not used in recruitment.
Application Closing Date and Time
26th September, 2019 (23:59 UK time)
Enhance your chances by remodeling your Cover Letter / Resume before applying Click here to get started